The 4 477 ha Hoverla Wilderness is part of Carpathian National Nature Park. The area preserves the natural state of the Carpathian mountain landscapes, typical natural araes and large complexes of unique mixed and conifer forests with presence of the large carnivores (bear, wolf and lynx). Carpathian National Nature Park includes three large Wilderness, which qualify to become a member of European Wilderness Network: Hoverla Wilderness, Pip Ivan Wilderness and Siniak Wilderness.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 4 477 ha Hoverla Wilderness was subject of a Quick-Audit in 2016 and meets the Bronze Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Full-Audit is scheduled for 2019.
- Protected area: Carpathian National Nature Park
- Wilderness: Hoverla Wilderness
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Bronze
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 50 495 ha
- Size of the Wilderness: 4 477 ha
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit: 2016
- Wilderness Uniqueness: large contiguous areas of old conifer forest with presence of large carnivores and extensive alpine meadows
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 110 000
- Number of visitors per year to the Wilderness: approx. 5 000
The Hoverla Wilderness is a large area with contiguous conifer forests. The Hoverla Wilderness contains rare old well protected forests. The diverse landscape has a high number of rare species and provides a safe refuge for native populations of all typical Carpathian carnivores such as brown bear, wolf, wildcat and lynx.
Hoverla Wilderness is without any management intervention already for several decades with the exeption of the surrounding of Hoverla Peak, which is excluded from the Hoverla Wilderness.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
The Hoverla Wilderness is located ca 140 km from Uzhhorod and ca 40 km from Ivano-Frankivsk town. The area is accessible for cars and buses by the asphalt road. Close to the Hoverla Wilderness is the highest peak of the Ukrainian Carpathian Mountains – Hoverla (2,061 m), which attracts thousands of visitors every year. The rest of the Hoverla Wilderness is not accessible for the public.
Address street: Yaremche st. Vasyl Stus, 6,
Postal code city: 78 500, Yaremche, Ivano-Frankivsk region, Ukraine, Ukraine
Phone: +380 3434 22731