Copyright 2016 European Wilderness Society
We are delighted to announce that the US Forest Service in cooperation with the European Wilderness Society invites four (4) European Rangers from its European Wilderness Network to take part June 4-8, 2018 in the International Wilderness Ranger Academy Training in New Mexico and California.
The purpose of the International Wilderness Ranger Academy is to provide field level wilderness rangers, partners and volunteers a “tool box” of professional wilderness management skills.
No Course fee!
All levels of experience are welcome. Concurrent sessions will be offered to accommodate junior field rangers as well as experienced rangers. The training is available to European Rangers at no fee and free camping will be available to attendees to help keep costs down. There will be great opportunities to hear engaging speakers, learn new skills, practice wilderness visitor contact and Leve no Trace techniques, receive certifications and network with peers from around the US and Europe! The course language will be English.
This year’s International Wilderness Ranger Academy 2018 will be hosted in the Carson National Forest in northern New Mexico and in the San Gorgonio Wilderness in the San Bernardino National Forest in California simultanously.
The Ranger should:
- work in an European Wilderness Network partner area
- have amMinimum of 3 years of field experience
- have good English language skills
- be able to present his or her protected area
- have experience with outside camp cooking
- have basic personal protective equipment (PPE)
- have a letter of recommendation
- write a short motivational letter
The US Forest Service and the European Wilderness Society will:
- assist with the travel itinerary
- provide transportation from and to the closest US airport(s)
- sign the Ranger up as a Volunteer
- waive the participation fee
- supply camping equipment (tent, sleeping bag, pad, stove, etc)
The Ranger will need to pay for:
- international airfare from Europe to the US airport
- personal meals and drinks
- international health insurance
A detailed agenda will be available soon. The application for participating in the International Wilderness Ranger Training will be open March 1st. If you are interested in this unique opportunity, be sure to apply NOW.
* Programme still subject to change
The post Participate in the International Wilderness Ranger Academy 2018 in the United States appeared first on European Wilderness Society.