The 10 600 ha Archipelago WILDCoast is embedded in the Archipelago National Park, Finland. Archipelago WILDCoast is part of one of the largest archipelagos in the world and forms an endless sea with thousands of islands and rocky islets. While Archipelago National Park has traditional land uses, like fishing and small-scale agriculture on the islands, the Archipelago WILDCoast is the only continuous marine fishing-free and strictly protected no-go zone in the Baltic.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 10 600 ha Archipelago WILDCoast was audited and monitored in 2007, 2008 and in 2010 and meets the Platinum Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Renewal-Audit is scheduled for 2020.
- Protected area: Archipelago National Park
- WILDCoast: Archipelago WILDCoast
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Platinum
- Country: Finland
- Size of the protected area: 50 000 ha
- Size of the WILDCoast: 10 600 ha
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit: 2010
- WILDCoast Uniqueness: Large contiguous marine WILDCoast with rich underwater life and small islands exposed to the extreme condition of the open Baltic Sea
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 50 000
- Number of visitors per year to the WILDCoast: approx. 50
The Archipelago WILDCoast at the edge of Baltic Sea is characterised by windswept pine forests on the rocks, low deciduous forests and bare rocky islets, which show parts of the ancient bedrock. The Archipelago WILDCoast provides a safe refuge for the declining population of the Baltic ringed seal and also for the more common grey seal. Once in a while the white-tailed eagle circles in the sky on the hunt for prey. This species is the largest breeding bird in Finland and the whole of Northern Europe. Other species of small rodents and moose can be seen on the islands. Under water, the Archipelago WILDCoast is an area with very unique ecosystems, depending on the amount of the sunlight.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Archipelago WILDCoast is strictly protected, but visitors have a wide range of opportunities in the rest of the Archipelago National Park. You can enjoy the very unique archipelago scenery, with common activities like sailing, canoeing, swimming, hiking, cycling, diving and snorkelling. If you enjoy birdwatching, you are in for a treat. Activities focusing on ‘learning in nature’ become more common. That includes programmes particularly available for schools. These focus on experiencing nature, the outdoors and practical skills.
- Archipelago WILDCoast
- Address street: Meripuistontie (Sinisimpukantie),
- Postal code city: 25930, Kasnäs, Finland
- Phone: +358 206 39 4620
- Website: http://www.nationalparks.fi/en/archipelagonp
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to dFlip 3D Flipbook Wordpress Help documentation.