The 4 800 ha Gorgany Wilderness is part of the Gorgany Nature Reserve. This area preserves the natural state of the Carpathian mountain landscapes, typical natural complexes, unique primeval beech forests, and in particular forest with Swiss pine (Pinus cembra). The area contains a large genetic reservoir of beech, on which many species are dependent and can be associated with in this forest habitat. The Gorgany Wilderness is part of the UNESCO Word Heritage Site – Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 4 800 ha Gorgany Wilderness was subject of a Quick-Audit in 2016 and meets the Gold Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Full-Audit is scheduled for 2019.
- Protected area: Gorgany Nature Reserve
- Wilderness: Gorgany Wilderness
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Gold
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 5 344 ha
- Size of the Wilderness: 4 800 ha
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit: 2016
- Wilderness Uniqueness: Large contiguous area of old-growth beech, Swiss pine and mixed forest, favourable habitat for wolf, bear and many other rare species
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 500
- Number of visitors per year to the Wilderness: approx. 100
The Gorgany Wilderness consists of large areas with contiguous old-growth broadleaf and conifer forests. It is an area of great international importance and a local hotspot for biodiversity depending on spontaneous natural processes and ecosystem dynamics. The Gorgany Wilderness contains rare primeval, well-protected forest with relict tree species such as Swiss pine. This peculiar and diverse landscape has a high number of rare, relict or endemic species.
The diverse flora of the Gorgany Nature Reserve includes 459 species, containing 72 rare plants species and 35 species of plants listed in the Red List of Ukraine. Over 1500 species of vertebrates and invertebrates are registered within the Gorgany Wilderness and on the adjacent areas and 55 of them are listed in the Red List of Ukraine.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Access to the Gorgany Wilderness is permitted only for guided tours and for participants of workshops. Gorgany Wilderness is located ca. 60 km from Ivano-Frankivsk town. The area is accessible for cars and busses. Nature trails provide a unique experience in Gorgany Wilderness. The trails lead through old-growth forest.
- Gorgany Wilderness
- Address street: Komarova Str., 7
- Postal code city: 78400, Nadvirna, Ivano-Frankivsk reg., Ukraine
- Phone: 00 380 3475 20483
- Website: http://gorgany.if.ua
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.