Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver
The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver spans over a length of 9 kilometres and is embedded in the Uholka-Shyrokyy Luh Wilderness, Ukraine. The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver, together with the tributary Tarsovskyy Stream, Polonskyy Stream and Bradul Stream, is a mountain river with an extraordinary scenery and is surrounded by undisturbed temperate beech forests.
The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver (together with Mala Uholka WILDRiver and Velyka Uholka WILD River) is an excellent example of an unmodified Carpathian mountain river. The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver is flowing through the Tereblya River down to the Tisa River.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 9 km Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver (together with Mala Uholka WILDRiver and Velyka Uholka WILDRiver) was audited in 2017 and meets the Platinum Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Renewal-Audit is scheduled for 2027.
- Protected area: Carpathian Biosphere Reserve
- WILDRiver: Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Platinum
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 29 000 ha
- Length of WILDRiver: 9 km
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit: 2017
- WILDRiver Uniqueness: Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver is surrounded by old growth temperate beech forests
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 20 000
- Number of visitors per year to the WILDRiver: approx. 80
Surrounding of the Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver is the largest contiguous old-growth beech forest in Europe. It is an area of great international importance and a local hotspot for biodiversity depending on spontaneous natural processes and ecosystem dynamics. The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver contains representatives of flora and fauna that are typical for old-growth Carpathian beech forests. This area is a place of permanent populations of the brown bears, wolves and lynxes. Typical dwellers are the black stork and the eagle-owl. A rich variety of life can be found in the deadwood trunks, such as the protected alpine Rosalia longicorn beetle.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Access to Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver is permitted only for guided tours and for participants of workshops. The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver and Uholka-Shyrokyy Luh Wilderness are located approx. 90 km from Uzhhorod and approx. 60 km from Ivano-Frankivsk. The Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver is accessible for cars and busses. There is no public trail in Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver.
- Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver
- Address street: Krasne Pleso Street, 77,
- Postal code city: 90600, Rakhiv, Ukraine
- Phone: +380 3132 22193
- Website: http://cbr.nature.org.ua/main.htm