Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness – Candidate
The 1 300 ha Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness Candidate is embedded into the Mizhrichynskyy Regional Landscape Park, Ukraine. The park is situated between the Dnieper and Desna rivers.
Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness is a massive wetland of the great hydrological, geomorphological and landscape importance. The unique landscapes also includes taiga-type moss swamps and floodplains. This area hosts a number of rare animal and plant species.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 1 300 ha Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness was the subject to the Wilderness Pre-Audit in June 2019 and meets the Bronze Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Full-Audit is scheduled for 2021.
- Protected area: Mizhrichynskyy Regional Landscape Park
- Wilderness: Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness Candidate
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Bronze
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 78 753,95 ha
- Size of the Wilderness: 1 300 ha (two parcels of 500 ha and 800 ha)
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Pre-Audit: 2019
- Wilderness Uniqueness: Large wetland between Dnieper and Desna rivers. The area includes several lakes and fragments of natural forests, favourable habitat for wolf, lynx, elk, beaver, grey crane and black grouse
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: 20 000
- Number of visitors per year to the Wilderness: To be verified
Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness has a scattered islands of pine forests, glacial sand dunes and impassable marshes located between the Dnieper and Desna rivers. It contains representatives of flora and fauna typical for undisturbed wetlands. It is home to two packs of wolves, lynx, eagles, and populations of approximately 130 , 30 black grouse six pairs of grey cranes and ten beavers.
The area is adjacent to the Chernobyl Radiation and Ecological Biosphere Reserve and provides an important habitat for migrating species. In 1950, people were removed from this area, for military purposes. The Ministry of Defence controls access to the area for military operations. There has been no public fishing or hunting since the 1980’s. Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness is split by a concrete road that is used rarely by local forest and park managers and militaries.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Mizhrichynskyy Regional Landscape Park is well known and frequently visited tourism destination. Proximity to Kiev makes this one of Ukraine’s most popular Regional Landscape Park. The park offers a wide spectrum of experiences. Access to the Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness is restricted by the Ministry of Defence, but guided tours to the vicinity of Bondarivske Wetland are offered by a local organisation.
- Bondarivske Wetland Wilderness – Candidate
- Mizhrichynskyy Regional Landscape Park
- Address: Otrochi village, Kozeletsky district
- Postal code city: Chernihiv region, Ukraine
- Phone: + 380 67 327 06 26
- Website: http://dniprodesna.org.ua