The 1 370 ha Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest is embedded in the Carpathian Biosphere Reserve, located in western Ukraine. The Carpathian Biosphere Reserve includes several large WILDForests and WILDRivers. The Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest is a hotspot for biodiversity, depending on spontaneous natural processes and ecosystem dynamics. The old-growth forests of Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest is an important reference area for comparisons with managed forest. Data from this forest provide an important basis for the evaluation and improvement of nature conservation and the forest management concept all over Europe. The Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site – Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 1 370 ha Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest was subject of a Quick-Audit in 2017 and meets the Bronze Wilderness Quality Standard.
- Protected area: Carpathian Biosphere Reserve
- WILDForest: Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Bronze
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 57 880 hectares
- Size of the WILDForest: 1 370 hectares
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit : 2017
- WILDForest Uniqueness: Contiguous area of old-growth beech and mixed forest, favourable habitat for wolf, bear and many other rare species
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 20 000
- Number of visitors per year to the WILDForest: approx. 100
Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest represents an outstanding example of undisturbed temperate beech forests and provides a sample of the pure stands of European beech. The area contains a large genetic reservoir of beech, on which many species are dependent and can be associated with in this forest habitat. It contains representative species of flora and fauna, typical for old-growth Carpathian beech forests. The most striking and impressive features of this forest are big trees; broken tree stems covered with fungi and the deadwood trunks of fallen trees. The area is a place of permanent extensive populations of brown bears, wolves and lynx. Typical dwellers are the black stork and eagle-owl. Rich variety of life can be found in the deadwood trunks, such as the protected alpine longicorn rosalia beetle.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Access to the restoration zone of Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest is permitted for guided tours and also for individuals or groups of travellers. The area is located approx. 130 km from Uzhhorod and approx. 140 km from Ivano-Frankivsk. The area is accessible for cars and buses. The trails through the restoration zone of Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest provide a unique WILDForest experience. The trails lead through old beech forest, passing the limestone massifs, and end up on steep cliffs with a wide panaroma. Hiking the trails, also because of safety, is recommended with a professional guide.
- Kuziy-Trybushany WILDForest
- Address street: Krasne Pleso Street, 77,
- Postal code city: 90600, Rakhiv, Ukraine
- Phone: +380 3132 22193
- Website: http://cbr.nature.org.ua/main.htm
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to DearFlip WordPress Flipbook Plugin Help documentation.