Mala Uholka WILDRiver
The Mala Uholka WILDRiver spans over a length of 7 kilometres and is embedded in the Uholka-Shyrokyy Luh Wilderness, Ukraine. The Mala Uholka WILDRiver, together with the small tributaries Buchmonskyy Stream and Plosnyy Stream, is a small mountain river with the typical extraordinary scenery and is surrounded by undisturbed temperate beech forests.
The Mala Uholka WILDRiver (together with Velyka Uholka WILDRiver and Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver) is an excellent example of an unmodified Carpathian mountain river. The Mala Uholka WILDRiver is flowing through the Tereblya River down to the Tisa River.
European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit System
The 7 km long Mala Uholka WILDRiver (together with Velyka Uholka WILDRiver and Shyrokyy Luh WILDRiver) was audited in 2017 and meets the Platinum Wilderness Quality Standard. A European Wilderness Quality Standard Renewal-Audit is scheduled for 2027.
- Protected area: Carpathian Biosphere Reserve
- WILDRiver: Mala Uholka WILDRiver
- Wilderness Quality Standard: Platinum
- Country: Ukraine
- Size of the protected area: 29 000 ha
- Size of the WILDRiver: 7 km
- European Wilderness Quality Standard Audit: 2017
- WILDRiver Uniqueness: Mala Uholka WILDRiver is surrounded by old-growth temperate beech forests
- Number of visitors per year to the protected area: approx. 20 000
- Number of visitors per year to the WILDRiver: approx. 600
Surrounding of the Mala Uholka WILDRiver is the largest contiguous old-growth beech forests in Europe. It is an area of a great international importance and a local hotspot for biodiversity depending on spontaneous natural processes and ecosystem dynamics. The Mala Uholka WILDRiver contains representatives of flora and fauna, typical for old-growth Carpathian beech forests. The area is a place of permanent populations of brown bears, wolves and lynx. Typical dwellers are the black stork and eagle-owl. A rich variety of life can be found in the deadwood trunks, such as the protected alpine Rosalia longicorn beetle.
Wilderness Tourism Experience
Access to Mala Uholka WILDRiver is permitted only for guided tours and for participants of workshops. The Mala Uholka WILDRiver and the Uholka-Shyrokyy Luh Wilderness are located approx. 90 km from Uzhhorod and approx. 60 km from Ivano Frankivsk. The Mala Uholka WILDRiver is accessible for cars and busses. The nature trail in Mala Uholka provides a unique experience.
- Mala Uholka WILDRiver
- Address street: Krasne Pleso Street, 77,
- Postal code city: 90600, Rakhiv, Ukraine
- Phone: +380 3132 22193
- Website: http://cbr.nature.org.ua/main.htm
Please wait while flipbook is loading. For more related info, FAQs and issues please refer to dFlip 3D Flipbook Wordpress Help documentation.